30th SEA Games men’s football tourney: Myanmar beat Philippines 2-1

Myanmar striker Aung Kaung Mann (No. 13) scoring the first goal for the U-22 team during yesterday’s Group A match of the 30th SEA Games men’s football tourney against the Philippines U-22 team at the Rizal Memorial Stadium in Manila, the Philippines. Photo: MFF

The Myanmar U-22 men’s national football team beat the Philippines U-22 team by 2-1 in the second Group A match of the men’s football competition at the 30th SEA Games, which was held yesterday at the Rizal Memorial Stadium in Manila, the Philippines.
Led by head coach Velizar Popov, team Myanmar lined up with goalkeeper Sann Sat Naing, Soe Moe Kyaw, Ye Yint Aung, Ye Min Thu, Aung Wunna Soe, Aung Naing Win, Lwin Moe Aung, Captain Hlaing Bo Bo, Myat Kaung Khant, Htet Phyoe Wai, and Aung Kaung Mann.
Myanmar dominated the play from the start with midfield line assistive attacking, using just one striker, Aung Kaung Mann, and five midfielders, Captain Hlaing Bo Bo, Lwin Moe Aung, Aung Naing Win, Htet Phyoe Wai, and Myat Kaung Khant.
Striker Aung Kaung Mann and midfielder Myat Kaung Khant worked well together in the first half to create several goal chances, but they could not convert them in the first 15 minutes.
But, at 16 minutes, taking advantage of an error in the Philippines defense line, Myat Kaung Khant lifted the ball towards Aung Kaung Mann, sending it over the Philippines defenders, and Aung Kaung Mann sent the ball straight through the legs of the Philippines goalkeeper Anthony Pinthus.
The goal for Myanmar spurred the Philippines players to score an equalizer.
Philippines player Mikel Justin Bass netted the equalizer at 45 minutes, and the first half ended with the two teams tied at 1-1.
In the second half, Myanmar changed their tactics and brought in striker Win Naing Tun in place of Aung Kaung Mann, who had scored the first goal for Myanmar and seemed tired due to making scoring opportunities in the first half.
After the substitution, Myanmar’s forward line was more active, with speedy play by Win Naing Tun, which kept the Philippines defenders busy.
By relying on counter attacks, Myanmar got their second goal at 79 minutes. The goal was scored by substituted striker Win Naing Tun over a slow assist from midfielder Myat Kaung Khant.
The second goal made Myanmar confident of a win, and the team changed their tempo to midfield and defense style. The match ended with a single-goal victory for Myanmar.
After the match, the Myanmar U-22 players celebrated their win with Myanmar fans by singing the Myanmar national anthem. — Lynn Thit (Tgi)

Share this post
Hot News
Hot News