Republic of the Union of Myanmar
Office of the President
Appeal to the people
5th Waning of Tabaung, 1381 ME
(13th March 2020)
1. The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-2019) as a pandemic on 11-3-2020 at 11:13 p.m, Myanmar standard time.
2. Therefore, the Committee for Prevention, Containment and Treatment of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) has been elevated and reorganized as a national level Central Committee on 13-3-2020.
3. As the respiratory disease COVID-19 can spread rapidly in crowded places, the public is requested not to hold public gatherings, ceremonies and festivals (including the construction of pandals for the Myanmar traditional Thingyan festival), starting from today until April 30. Relevant departments have been informed and the suspension period will be extended if deemed necessary.
4. The Ministry of Health and Sports is actively reporting on news of patients under surveillance and suspected of COVID-19, and their lab test results to the public in real time. Currently, all lab tests have shown negative and there are no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Myanmar as of 10 pm, 12-3-2020.
5. The public is respectfully requested to disregard the misinformation and rumours intended to cause panic, closely follow the regularly updated public service announcements issued in real time by the Ministry of Health and Sports, and immediately inform the nearest health departments through the nearest district, township, ward/village-tract administrators, if they find any suspected patients in their community.