Efforts made to boost the rice export through the normal trade

The Myanmar Rice Federation (MRF) is making efforts to create more rice export markets in cooperation with the Ministry of Commerce with the aim of importing 500,000 tonnes of rice yearly through sea trade, it is learnt.
The rice export volume over the past four months in this fiscal year is worth only about US$400,000. That figure has decreased by over 200,000 tonnes when compared to a similar period of the last fiscal year. The volume of exports to China constitutes 80 per cent of the total rice exported through border trade. The remaining 20 per cent of rice will be exported to Africa and countries of European Union through normal trade.
Concerted efforts are being made to penetrate the markets of The Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia, Japan, European countries and African countries.
The Ministry of Commerce is also trying to bolster the rice export volume via normal trade, said an official from this ministry.
The ministry has been working with the MRF to meet the rice demand from Kenya. The ministry has also concerned itself with the extension period of 300,000 tonnes of rice export mentioned in an MoU signed with Indonesia in the previous government’s period. The ministry is also preparing to sign an MoU with The Philippines concerning exporting of rice. Additionally, the government has already discussed with Chinese authorities the plans to bolster the export quota of rice.—Mon Mon

Share this post
Hot News
Hot News