Fire in Yangon General Hospital, no casualties

IMG 4153 72A fire broke out in Yangon General Hospital at 6:35pm yesterday as a result of an overheated light switch. The hospital reports there were no deaths or casualties resulting from the incident.
Ko Aung, a carer, said, “I heard shouts of fire and ran downstairs. There were fire engines and I was very frightened. My mother is at the hospital receiving treatment for her heart disease, so I was very worried. I saw patients being carried away. I heard that two heart-disease patients fainted, but I didn’t see it myself.”
The fire was caused by an overheated electric socket board in the minor operation theatre in the cancer outpatient department. The initial flames spread to the wooden beams on the ceiling and to the wires.
Arriving at the scene were Yangon Region Chief Minister U Phyo Min Thein and relevant officials, reserve fire fighters, Red Cross members, police officers, and civil society organizations. Their combined efforts completely extinguished the fire at 7:10pm.
One of the firefighters involved in extinguishing the fire said there was a large volume of smoke coming out of the room when they arrived. He said, “We didn’t see any flames. We proceeded with caution since it was a radiotherapy department. We first vacuumed the smoke out of the building. Although they were flammable we had to be careful of the medical supplies. There were no injuries or casualties.”
There are no reported casualties and the damage from the fire is estimated at Ks375,000. Officials from the Nuclear Energy Department under the Ministry of Education confirmed there was no radiological danger either.
A local resident near the hospital said, “We were pretty worried when we heard there was a fire at the hospital. There were heart-disease patients and patients who were unable to move. It’s a relief that when we hear there were no injuries. There was a similar incident last year. It was very worrying. Places like these need more fire safety.”
The hospital announced that there were no deaths or casualties resulting from the fire last night, although it caused some unrest among the citizens of Yangon and the local residents near the hospital. —Zaw Gyi, Zarni Maung, Aye Min Thu

A fire engine sits outside the Yangon General Hospital in response to fire that broke out in the cancer outpatient ward.  Photo: Thura
A fire engine sits outside the Yangon General Hospital in response to fire that broke out in the cancer outpatient ward.  Photo: Thura
Share this post

Comments

Hot News
Hot News