Fishery export earns over $564 mln during Oct-May period

Prawn in Kawthoung. Photo Aye Than copy
Workers sort out prawns at a sea food processing factory in Kawthoung. Photo : Aye Than

Export earnings from fishery sector from 1 October, 2018 to 31 May, 2019 in current FY amounted to about US$564.35 million, which is an increase of $39.5 million compared to that of last FY, according to the statistics released by the Commerce Ministry.
Myanmar fisheries such as fish, prawn, crabs are exported to markets of 40 foreign counties including European Union countries, China, Saudi Arabia, America, Japan, Singapore and Thailand. Earlier, only fish caught in the wild were permitted export to the EU market. At present, Myanmar is able to export farmed fish, prawn, and crabs to EU.
Saudi Arabia’s suspension of fish imports from Myanmar, beginning from April last year, has affected rohu fish suppliers. Myanmar keeps only 25 per cent of rohu fish for local consumption and exports the remaining 75 per cent to Saudi Arabia, UAE, as well as Bangladesh. Myanmar exports farmed fish to Saudi Arabia, accounting for 30 per cent of its farm-raised fish exports and 40 per cent of rohu exports.
Myanmar Fishery Federation (MFF) is exerting concerted efforts to increase fishery export earnings by developing fish farming ponds which meet international standard and adopt advanced fishing techniques.
There are 480,000 acres of fish and prawn breeding farms across the country, and Myanmar has earned over US$717 million through its fishery products last fiscal year, according to MFF statistics.—Ko Htet (Translated by Ei Myat Mon)

Share this post


Hot News
Hot News