The Republic of the Union of Myanmar
National Reconciliation and Peace Centre
12th Waning of Wagaung, 1382 ME
14th September 2020
1. The National Reconciliation and Peace Centre has put an emphasis on implementing reconciliation, internal peace and political dialogue which are crucial for establishing a Democratic Federal Union expected by national people for many years.
2. The works for increasing negotiation momentum have encountered some difficulties under prevention, control and treatment measures of COVID-19 . However, in coordination with the group representing the government, the Hluttaw and the Tatmadaw, the group representing the ethnic armed organizations which signed Nationwide Ceasefire Agreement, and the group representing political parties, the NRPC could successfully hold the 4th session of Union Peace Conference—21st Century Panglong in Nay Pyi Taw from 19 to 21 August 2020 in line with the rules and regulations of COVID-19 prevention and control health measures.
3. The Tatmadaw has also announced suspension of military operations in the conflict zones, except for the areas of terrorist groups from 10 May to 30 September 2020 for effective measures of control, prevention and treatment of COVID-19 more widely while aiming for internal peace.
4. The announcement and the activities of Tatmadaw have reflected implementation of UN Security Council’s resolutions adopted on 1 July 2020, and that NRC welcomed these measures which have supported its peacemaking efforts.
5. The genuine desire and active cooperation for peace of the relevant organizations, including the Tatmadaw, could help in successful holding of the 4th session of Union Peace Conference—21st Century Panglong in accordance with the healthcare rules of COVID-19 prevention and control measures. Moreover, the stakeholders could sign Part III of agreements for the Union Accord crucial for the peacemaking processes in the post 2020 General Election. It is announced that the NRPC will continue to establish a genuine Democratic Federal Union expected by the national people with absolute determination.