(8:00 p.m., 6-3-2020)
1. The Ministry of Health and Sports is closely monitoring the COVID-19 outbreak and spread in China and 85 countries around the world, in cooperation with the international Health Ministries and the WHO, and sharing real-time updated information among these organizations.
2. In this regard:
(a) A 35-year-old male returned from Bangkok, Thailand, to Ottarathiri Township, Nay Pyi Taw, on 3-3-2020 and developed symptoms of high fever, runny nose and coughing on 5-3-2020. He was sent to the Nay Pyi Taw General Hospital on the same day and a lab sample has been submitted to the National Health Laboratory (NHL) with the results awaiting.
(b) A 30-year-old female in Haka Township, Chin State, arrived in Yangon International Airport at 10:15 am on 6-3-2020 from Kuala Lumpar, Malaysia. Medical staff at the airport monitored her and noticed symptoms of high fever, coughing, and fatigue and transferred her to Waibargi Specialist Hospital. A lab sample has been sent to NHL and she has currently shown no signs of acute respiratory disease.
(c) A 14-year-old male in Hmawby Township, Yangon Region, exhibited signs of fatigue, high fever, and coughing on 4-3-2020 and was admitted to Insein General Hospital. Although the patient has not recently been to countries spread with COVID-19 nor has contact with suspected patients, he has shown signs of acute respiratory disease. A lab sample has been sent to NHL.
(d) A 34-year-old male in Yaksawk Township, Shan State (South), exhibited signs of high fever, fatigue and coughing up blood on 23-2-2020. He was admitted to a private hospital from 26-2-2020 to 5-3-2020 and transferred to Yangon General Hospital on 6-3-2020 at 12 p.m.
Although the patient has not recently been to countries with COVID-19, he has shown symptoms of acute respiratory disease, with a lab sample sent to NHL. However, his condition worsened and he past away at 4:30 p.m. on 6-3-2020.
3. A 40-year-old male from Sittway Township, Rakhine State, was traveling from Shweli, China, to Mandalay on 5-3-2020 when he suffered respiratory complications at Lashio and was admitted to Lashio General Hospital at 8:40 p.m. on 5-3-2020.
The patient had been diagnosed with diabetes five months ago and was suffering from high fever and coughing for the past 40 days. He was quarantined at Lashio General Hospital and a lab sample was sent to NHL. However, his condition worsened and he pased away from heart failure at 9:40 pm on 5-3-2020. He reportedly passed away from diabetes and pneumonia.
4. A 68-year-old female from Maha Aungmyay Township, Mandalay Region, was admitted to Kandaw Nadi Hospital in Mandalay on 4-3-2020, but passed away as her condition worsened at 7:40 p.m. on 6-3-2020. She reportedly suffered from chronic cardiac problems and diabetes. Her cause of death was diagnosed as due to pneumonia and negative consequences of ill-treated cardiac and diabetes conditions. Her lab sample has been sent to NHL and results are pending.
5. Five patients are receiving treatment and under surveillance as of 6 pm on 6-3-2020.
6. News will be released in real time for any developments.—Ministry of Health and Sports (Translated by Zaw Htet Oo)