From (4-1-2020) to (8-3-2020)
(8-3-2020), 8: 15 pm
1. Situation update worldwide
(World Health Organization’s statement issued at 3:30 am (MST) on 7-3-2020)
Total affected countries – 94
Total cases – 101,927
Total death toll – 3,486
Global death rate – 3.4%
Global cases/ death toll
|Since its beginning to so far|
|Sr.||Countries||Confirmed cases||Death toll|
|1||Republic of Korea||6,767||44|
The WHO announced that outbreak of disease has occurred in many countries in both imported cases and local transmission.
45 countries, territories or areas outside China with reported cases are:
|Sr.||Regions in the list of WHO||Countries|
|1||Western Pacific Region||Republic of Korea, Japan, Singapore, Australia, Malaysia, Viet Nam, the Philippines, and New Zealand.|
|2||European Region||Italy, Germany, France, Spain, The United Kingdom, Croatia, San Marino, Norway, Netherlands, Switzerland, Greece, Finland, Demark, Sweden, Israel, Romania, Belgium, Portugal, Belarus, Bosnia, Ireland, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Iceland, and Slovakia.|
|3||South-East Asia Region||Thailand, Indonesia, and India.|
|4||Eastern Mediterranean Region||Iran, United Arab Emirates, and Lebanon.|
|5||Region of the Americas||United States of America, Canada, and Ecuador.|
|5||African Region||Algeria, and Cameroon.|
Therefore, the WHO has changed the level of its risk assessment on COVID-19 transmission to “very high” in China, regional countries, and global countries.
2. According to the WHO-China Joint Mission Report on COVID-19 that surveyed a total of 55,924 patients from 16-2-2020 to 24-2-2020, the main signs and symptoms are:
|Sr||Signs and Symptoms||Percentage|
|5||Shortness of breath||18.6|
|8||Myalgia or Arthralgia||14.8|
|10||Nausea or Vomiting||5|
Situation of signs and symptoms of COVID-19:
Mild to Moderate -80%
Severe – 13.8%
Critically ill – 6.1%
Eighty-three per cent of laboratory-confirmed cases outside China are from Republic of Korea, Iran and Italy.
At present, Myanmar is one of the 117 countries where no COVID-19 cases was found.
3. The differences between COVID-19 and seasonal influenza are:
– The signs and symptoms of COVID-19 is more severe than Seasonal Influenza. There is vaccine for seasonal influenza, but no vaccine and medicine was found yet for COVID-19.
4. Situation in Myanmar (Until 12:00 pm on 8-3-2020)
|Positive Result||Negative Result||Waiting for test||Under Test||Number of Patient|
|People under Investigation||–||60||6||6||72|
5. There are a total of 72 people under investigation across Myanmar from 31-1-2020 to 8-3-2020: 27 in Yangon Region, 14 in Shan State, 13 in Mandalay Region and 18 in other Regions and States.
6. In preparation for COVID-19, the Ministry of Health and Sports is carrying out:
(a) monitoring persons (family members and health workers) who had close contacts with the patients and prevention and control measures against the disease at the hospitals and clinics
(b) identifying suspected cases, quarantining them and providing effective treatment
(c) giving instructions to the health workers to strictly follow preventive measures and make public awareness
(d) publishing situation reports about Myanmar and other countries in the state-owned newspapers and the internet website of the Ministry (www.mohs.gov.mm) and social media pages (https://www.facebook.com/ MinistryOfHealthAndSportsMyanmar) and (https://www.facebook.com/ MyanmarCDC) , with taking response to the fake news
(e) coordination with relevant government agencies to lessen socioeconomic impacts resulted from COVID-19.
(f) awareness programmes with the use of handheld loudspeakers at the crowded places in Regions and States such as bus gates and markets, in cooperation with Myanmar Red Cross Society , civil society organizations and community based organizations.
|Sr||Organizations||Personal Protective Equipment||N95|
|Surgical Mask||Surgical Gown||Hand Gel||Protective goggles||Non-Contact Thermometer||Ventilator||Glove|
|1||World Health Organization||600||525||30,000||1,000||499||500||20,000|
|2||Myanmar Red Cross Society||2,500||–||5,100||1,857||6,000|
|3||Sea Lion Company||2,000|
|4||Ottara Thiri Company||1,000||225|
|6||Gold Lite Co., Ltd||2,000|
|7||Eclion Global Group and other donors||3,300|
|8||Yee Shin Company||5|
|9||Valves Co., Ltd||2,000|
Ministry of Health and Sports expressed gratitude to the local and foreign organizations for donating necessary medicines and medical equipment. In preparation for COVID-19 outbreak, the ministry is purchasing and distributing ventilators.
8. Although Myanmar has not found any COVID-19 patient so far,
– COVID-19 is spreading not only in China but also in Singapore, Republic of Korea, Italy, and Iran at high level
– The chances of the travellers from the countries coming to Myanmar by flights, or through border crossings from other countries are high.
– The ministry is increasing surveillance in upward momentum at the international airports.
– The ministry is also closely monitoring the hotels, guest houses and houses where the foreign travellers will reside.
-Local transmission was found in some countries where new cases occurred despite no close contacts with COVID-19 patients or no previous visit to the countries with the outbreak of disease
– In the crowd, people can be infected the virus from COVID-19 patients and asymptomatic carriers.
9. It is also possible that some cases could be found immediately, the people and social organized are suggested:
(a) to avoid crowded area and festivals as much as possible
(b) to organize only unavoidable public event
(c) arrange soaps and water, or hand sanitizer at the public gatherings and festivals.
(d) announce the information about COVID-19 for about five minutes before the events begin.
(e) strictly manage only a few people come to events and sickly persons not to come to the events; strictly follow the health announcements issued by the Ministry of Health and Sports.—MOHS (Translated by Kyaw Zin Tun)