Republic of the Union of Myanmar
National Reconciliation and Peace Centre
Announcement on Multiparty Democracy General Election
11 November 2020
11th Waning of Thadingyut, 1382
1. The National Reconciliation and Peace Centre is making strenuous effort into national reconciliation, Union peace, democratic reform and establishment of a federal Union. The four sessions of Union Peace Conference—21st Century Panglong have been held, and agreements have been made on the implementation of phase by phase concrete work plans for building a Democratic Federal Union in the post-2020. Informal meetings were also held with ethnic armed organizations in the post-conference.
2. The centre has formed ‘Committee on Coordination with Ethnic Armed Organizations in Measures against COVID-19’ in order to closely work with the EAOs in line with the policy of ‘No one to be left behind’ amid the outbreak of the pandemic.
3. The Multiparty Democracy General Election was successfully held nationwide on 8 November 2020 in accordance with the rules and guidelines of COVID-19 preventive measures. The ethnic armed organizations cooperated constructively in the elections for the safe voting of ethnic people.
4. The successful holding of multiparty democracy general elections is a crucial step for the establishment of a Democratic Federal Union. The centre gratefully acknowledges the cooperation of the EAOs and is sorry to know that the elections were postponed in some areas due to the lack of security for holding the free and fair elections. Relevant individuals and organizations are requested for their cooperation for immediate holding of the elections in these areas.
5. It is announced that the National Reconciliation and Peace Centre has determined to make future negotiations with the NCA-S EAOs and with the other potential signatories for the establishment of a Democratic Federal Union expected by all the national people.