The Kanbawazthadi Golden Palace, which was built by Myanmar King Bayinnaung in Bago Town, received more travellers this year, according to a report in the Myawady Daily.
Some 259,067 local travellers visited Kanbawazthadi Palace, as of January in the 2017-2018 fiscal year (FY). In the previous FY, Kanbawzathadi Palace hosted some 257,768 local travellers, which was a significant increase from the preceding year.
Besides local travellers, more international travellers also visited the Kanbawazthadi palace. In the 2016-2017 FY, the golden palace received some 10,571 foreign visitors in November, 12,086 in December and 27,932 in January. In the 2017-2018 FY, the golden palace received more foreign visitors, with 11,693 visiting in November, 13,074 visiting in December and 31,643 in January. Entry fee to the palace is Ks100 for children, Ks 200 for adults and Ks10,000 for foreigners.
The Kanbawazthadi Golden Palace was built by King Bayinnaung in 1553, but it was looted and burnt down in 1599 during an armed conflict. During excavations, some 176 teak pillars were found, 136 of which were inscribed with the names of towns, regions and people who donated them in the Mon and Bamar languages. The palace was built on a 3,400-square-metre plot located in the centre of the city and surrounded by walls with 20 gates.