Water Economic Forum shares knowledge on water resource management

A forum to discuss water supply in Yangon was held at the Union of Myanmar Federation of Chambers of Commerce and Industry on 22 September afternoon.

DSC 0002 copy
Water Economic Forum held at the UMFCCI in Yangon on 22 September. 
Photo: Aung Thura

Yangon City Development Committee’s Mayor U Maung Maung Soe made an opening remark at the forum.
U Myint Naing, the chairman of May Kha Hostel Foundation, explained the event, followed by the presentations of Economist Dr Thein Swe, Deputy Director of YCDC Daw Thwe Naing Oo and Assistant Director U Zaw Win Naing.
They discussed the existing and future water distribution systems in Yangon, and the need of all inclusion in producing fresh water as one billion of people are expected to face shortage of household water, out of an estimated 10 billion people in the world by 2050.
At the forum, Chief Editor of Eco Echo Journal performed as a moderator to lead the forum.
Distribution of water in Yangon reached to just tens of thousands of people in 1842. Kandawgyi and Inya lakes were developed in 1879 and 1884 respective. In the following years Hlawga Reservoir emerged in 1904, Gyobyu Reservoir in 1940, Phugyi Reservoir in 1989, and Ngamoeyeik Reservoir in 2014.
About 205 million of household water is distributed for people in Yangon for 13 hours each day— 90 per cent is from the reservoirs and the remaining 10 per cent is from tube wells.
Charges for water are K 200 per unit in Mandalay, K 110 in Nay Pyi Taw and K 88 in Yangon. These rates are found the lowest charges among ASEAN countries.
The experts also suggested at the forum to avoid excess use water in Myanmar, giving an example of Dubai where cash fines could reduce 491 cases for reckless use of water in 2012 to 378 cases in 2013.
The YCDC has also planned to get water from the new projects of Kokkowa and Toe rivers.—Aung Thura
(Translated by Aung Khin)

Share this post
Hot News
Hot News