Workshop promotes sustainable urban planning for Yangon

Vehicles drive on Kaba-Aye Pagoda Road in Yangon, where road safety is being prioritised under an EU-funded project on urban mobility.
Vehicles drive on Kaba-Aye Pagoda Road in Yangon, where road safety is being prioritised under an EU-funded project on urban mobility.

The Yangon City Development Committee will host a workshop to promote an EU-funded project on sustainable urban mobility planning for the city on 27 April, the YCDC and project partners said Friday.
U Aung Khine Tun, senior external relations coordinator of Italian humanitarian organization CESVI, one of the project partners, said the workshop will be held at Yangon City Hall. It will present the main components of the project, entitled “Sustainable Urban Mobility Planning” to relevant stakeholders and promote it, as well as YCDC activities, to the public, he said.
The project aims to strengthen the capacities of the city and promote citizen participation in ensuring a sustainable urban environment.
The European Union will provide 884,325 euros for the project, comprising 75 percent, while other project partners will contribute the remaining 25 percent.
The project, which started on 1 February 2015, will run until January 2017, targeting two pilot townships—Tamway and Thingangyun— in Yangon.
The YCDC is implementing the project in cooperation with the Italian City of Turin and two Italian NGOs—Information Technology for Humanitarian Assistance Cooperation and Action and CESVI.
The YCDC and project partners said the project will improve YCDC’s strategic planning capacity through the transfer of good practices and models encourage community participation in decision-making and dialogues with local authorities.
Lessons learned from Europe may be applicable in Myanmar, particularly on road safety, which is a current priority for the EU, they added.

Share this post
Hot News
Hot News