World Maritime Day commemorated in Yangon

DSC 1050 copy
Deputy Minister U Kyaw Myo presents a gift to MTTC Asia’s Chairman Prof Jin Yongxing at the ceremony in Yangon yesterday. 
Photo: MNA

Yangon commemorated World Maritime Day at Wyndham Grand Yangon Hotel yesterday morning with Deputy Minister for Transport and Communications, U Kyaw Myo, delivering speech on the occasion.
Organized by the International Maritime Organization, the commemoration is held annually in all member nations to promote vessel safety and security and also to raise awareness on preserving the marine environment, said the Deputy Minister.
The theme for 2019’s World Maritime Day, an official United Nations day, is, ‘Empowering Women in the Maritime Community’. As such, it aims to reduce gender discrimination in all lines of work related to maritime travel and the fishery sector.
The Deputy Minister said ships in Myanmar’s waters are already being managed by women who have graduated from the World Maritime University and International Maritime Law Institute.
He said there are 1.2 million people working on ships across the globe yet women make up only 2 per cent of that number. Furthermore, 94 per cent work on cruise ships and the remaining 6 per cent work on cargo ships. There will soon be more opportunities for Myanmar’s women to legally work on ships, said the Deputy Minister.
Next, Dr Jose Thomas Matheickal and officials from IMO delivered opening remarks and MTTC Asia’s Chairman, Prof Jin Yongxing, delivered an address. This was followed by a slideshow presentation Myanmar’s maritime sector. — MNA (Translated by Zaw Htet Oo)

Share this post
Hot News
Hot News