Salt farms in Mon State halt operations to prevent rain damage

0254698 sskm
Salt farmers in Mon State are harvesting salt.

Salt Industries of Mon State reported that salt production farms in the state ceased operations to avoid rain damage. Rain can be forecasted at least 15 days in advance based on weather information, allowing salt farmers to close their farms and secure their equipment in time.
Twenty years ago, salt farmers experienced significant losses due to unexpected rain. Since then, they have been vigilant in following weather forecasts and have practised closing their farms at least 15 days before expected rainfall. Salt farming is a seasonal business, similar to crop cultivation, and depends on favourable weather conditions, fuel prices, and domestic commodity prices.
Salt farm owners reported that the cost of raw salt production this year is higher than in previous years due to increased labour and fuel costs, as well as general commodity prices. As a result, salt farmers need to earn at least K200 per viss to make a profit or at least cover their expenses.
Salt is currently harvested and stored in warehouses in good condition. In Myanmar, salt production primarily occurs in the Ayeyawady Region, Rakhine State, and Mon State. Ayeyawady Region accounts for 66 per cent of the country’s total salt production, while Rakhine State and Mon State share the remaining 34 per cent. Myanmar ranks 51st among the 93 countries in the world that produce salt. — TWA/TMT

Share this post
Hot News
Hot News
Scholarship to be provided for four Myanmar students in the Republic of Korea
Radiocarbon dating of Hanlin Pyu City at early 3000 BC may be even earlier with further study: Archaeologist says
More than 1400 Myanmar workers to be recruited from Japan
Flooded areas and others warned of heavy rain and strong winds
Licences issued for homestay lodgings in Kalaw, Shan State
Deputy Health Minister leads inspection on diarrhoea disease control in Thakayta, North Okkalapa townships
Deputy PM MoFA Union Minister arrives back in Myanmar after 2nd BIMSTEC Foreign Ministers’ Retreat
Agricultural inputs provided for monsoon paddy growers in Ayeyawady Regoin
Press conference emphasizes joint statement of 23 political parties
MIFER Union Minister arrives back after attending Second High-Level Conference of Forum on Global Action for Shared Development