New board oversees popular Mandalay Buddhist sites

Sanda Muni Buddha Image  in Mandalay.
Sanda Muni Buddha Image in Mandalay.

Mandalay, 2 March — A pair of Buddhists monuments popular with visitors to Mandalay have recently come under new custodianship.
The board of trustees for Maha Lawka Marazein Kuthodaw Pagoda and Sanda Muni Buddha Image were reconstituted Sunday at the meeting hall of Kuthodaw Pagoda in Aungmyethazan Township, Mandalay.
Kuthodaw Pagoda is roughly 300 metres southeast of Mandalay Hill. It is a large walled complex at the base of the southeast stairway to Mandalay Hill and was commissioned by King Mindon, who also built the Royal Palace in Mandalay.
The Sanda Muni Buddha Image is located to the east of the Kyauktaw Gyi Pagoda. The iron Buddha image was cast by King Bodawpaya before the founding of the city Mandalay in 1164 Myanmar Era (1803 A.D.).
“Under the guidance of the Ovadacariya Sayadaws, we will work together to develop the religious edifices,” Chairman of the pagoda board of trustees Thiha Thudhamma Manijotadhara U Kyaw Win said.
Officials of the old board of trustees handed over accounts, keys, financial statement, bank savings and documents related to the pagodas to the new board comprised of 23 members representing five townships in downtown Mandalay City.
Both monuments have become tourist attractions. Stone inscriptions on Tri Pitakat treatises of Buddhism called the “World Largest Books” can be seen at Kuthodaw Pagoda. Sightseers can also take a close look at the large Buddha image called Sanda Muni. Min Htet Aung (Mandalay Sub-printing House)

 Maha Lawka Marazein Kuthodaw Pagoda located in 300 metres southeast of Mandalay Hill.
Maha Lawka Marazein Kuthodaw Pagoda located in 300 metres southeast of Mandalay Hill.
An Ovadacariya Sayadaw gives advice to new members of pagoda board of trustees.
An Ovadacariya Sayadaw gives advice to new members of pagoda board of trustees.
Share this post
Hot News
Hot News